Trail mix a healthy snack
Is trail mix a healthy snack? Yes, it most definitely is – provided you make it at home.
Trail mix is easy to carry in your bag for snacking in between long work days or on days when you know your going to skip a meal.
Homemade trail mix is less in salt and sugars. And its super easy to make. You can practically mix any dry, finger food you like – nuts, pretzels, dried fruits – anything that is healthy and can be stored for days.
Keep in mind, whatever the ingredients in the trail mix you must keep the portion within 2 scoops a day (approx a fist full)
I found this great video that has a super easy recipe for a great trail mix. This trail mix uses nuts – keep that in mind if, you are allergic to nuts. Though this video says ‘Healthy Kids Snack Recipes’ this is equally good for adults too.
I love the way the kids are involved in this video. I think its great when kids are involved in cooking. It makes them feel connected to the food and is also lots of fun.
- pumpkin seeds: 3 scoops
- sunflower seeds: 3 scoops
- almonds: 1 scoop
- cashews: 2 scoops
- raisins: to taste
- mixed spices powder: a pinch.
- Set the oven to pre-heat at 300 degrees
- Mix all the nuts except for the rasins
- Add the pinch of mixed spices powder. You can use any natural spices – pepper, cumin, garlic, onions. No salt
- Spread it on a baking tray and put it in the oven for 5 to 10 mins
- Take it out and let it cool
- Add the raisins a give it a good mix
Baking will get a bit of the oil out from the nuts which will give the whole mixture an extra nutty flavor while the raisins will add the bit of sweet. And all of these ingredients are high in anti-oxidants, protein and fiber. You can pack it in your child lunch box too.
Filed under: easy recipes • snacks for kids
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!